Friday 23 July 2010

My heart leaps up

Wordsworth in 1798 writes in his preface to 'lyrical ballads' that:

'Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility. Poetry to be written in the language of the "common man," and the subjects of the poems should also be accessible to all individuals regardless of class or position.'

Here's a video lifted from Youtube:



And here is William Wordsworth's 'My Heart Leaps Up' from his 'Poems, in two volumes' from 1807:

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky.
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

No comments:

Post a Comment